Roofing issues can be quite common, and lots of different ones can happen. For now, let’s stick with 10 you should be aware of over all else.
Yes, ‘over all else’. Just a little roofing humor for you.
1) Those Evil Trees: Among the many crazy things Dorothy encounters along the Yellow Brick Road are apple trees that seem to hate people. In real life, they don’t do this. Then again, they can act like they hate your roof. Overhanging limbs can scratch a roof, wearing it down over time.
2) Keep Your Mind Out of the Gutter: Gutters are supposed to keep water off your roof but also away from your foundation. You don’t want things going into the gutter at home any more than you do at the bowling alley. Debris, blockages and ice dams can result in sagging and damage.
3) You Have to Take a Leak, but Your Home Doesn’t: If you notice discoloration, dampness or dripping on walls, ceilings or the attic, then you might have a roof leak.
4) You Bit Off More Than You Could Chew: That’s okay on Thanksgiving, but not on the roof of your home. DIY projects gone wrong can waste your Saturday afternoon and personal pride, but they can also endanger your home, bank account and even your life.
5) Your AC Is Cranky: This doesn’t mean your air conditioning is making cranky noises, but it does mean it’s cranked up higher than it needs to be. Bad ventilation keeps heat in your attic. That might help with our Pennsylvania winters, but it’s a waste in the summer.
6) Flashing Is Sometimes Necessary: We’re not gonna ask where your mind went. Where it should be is around chimneys and vents, where flashing material keeps water and other things out.
7) Mind the Gap: This sign is famous in London, but gaps shouldn’t be happening on your roof. They might start small, but they can grow into your monsters, sort of like many children.
8) No Time for Dealing With Time: Even the best roofing succumbs to erosion. If it isn’t given any time and attention along the way, that can happen faster than your budget is ready for.
9) The Devil Wears Prada: If you or a previous owner hired bad contractors for repairs or installation, their shoddy work might not be evident until years later. Fortunately Family Handyman has some good pictures you can use to identify sloppy work.
10) Not Enough Tiles: You might think you need more tiles when your Scrabble or Words With Friends board runs out of room. However, your roof needs enough tiles to not leave any room.
If you need any of these issues fixed or just identified, give us a call. Much like a classic rock band, your home deserves to be covered.