If you’re looking into installing a roof, there are several options you need to consider:
- How much weight will be bearing down on your home? Will the roof require reinforcement with a special frame?
- Can you get it in colors or an aesthetic that works with your home?
- Does the material conflict with local fire codes?
- Is there any extra work to installing or maintaining the roof?
- How well does it handle the weather common to your area?
- What’s its cost, durability and warranty?
#1: Asphalt Shingling
Asphalt is cheap ($70-120/square), easy to install and can be improved with fiberglass or cellulose without affecting their look. While you can get them in many colors, asphalt shingles are poor insulators, known to last less than 25 years and of variable quality.